Thursday, April 16, 2015

Choices and Redemption

Choicesscottbloomdecisions


The broad themes of chapters 28-31 in The Energy Bus are reflection, renewal, redemption, perseverance, and appreciating the moment. Each of these themes is undoubtedly comprehensive and critical enough that you could easily have a lengthy discussion or fill a lengthy book about each of those concepts. In these chapters, we learn that George offers a second chance to Michael, a former energy vampire on his team, who goes on to become a significant and vital contributor, as he seeks redemption for his prior shortcomings. We also learn of George’s renewed commitment to “drive with a purpose” and to “enjoy the ride” as he loves and leads his team to ultimate success. George learns to so by allowing his team members the freedom and flexibility to spread their wings and blossom their ideas into feasible realities. George is also reminded to see and to promote the greater good in each of the independent and interconnected tasks they engage in. And all of these are presented in chapters 28-31 with the backdrop of learning to live in the moment and learn from your prior mistakes in order to better yourself, your impact on others, and your future success.


In reflecting on these themes in my own life, and in my own experiences, I was drawn to a prior era in my adolescence, when I was afforded an opportunity for redemption that eventually allowed me to become the person and the professional that I am today. Undoubtedly, we can all think of times when we were younger when we made extremely poor choices that we are grateful we recovered from! I am no different. However we know as educators there are unfortunately enough sad stories of people who never learned from their youthful indiscretions and ended up on the path to destruction.  The refreshing reminders of redemption through reflection and growth in chapters 28-31 of The Energy Bus resonated with me.
shawshank1

I can vividly recall when I was in 8th grade. In the middle of my 8th grade school year my father took a new position in Shanghai, China. This was after he lived abroad for work from the time I was 9 months old until I was 7 years old. Then, just before I turned 14, he again had to move away for professional obligations. My mother did the best she could as a single mother, raising 3 rambunctious and mischievous latch-key kids in Southern California in the 1980s and 90s, before the dawn of cell phones, internet, and instant access to communication and information. You can imagine these circumstances afforded my sisters and I infinite opportunities for life-altering poor choices. In all candor, all 3 of us took advantage of those opportunities for misbehavior. And for me, being younger than both of my sisters by 6 years and 9 years, I had an inordinate amount of time to make poor choices while my mother was working 12 hour shifts with 1.5 hour commutes to and from work. In middle and high school, some of my poor choices came with increasingly long term implications and consequences.


There were 2 such choices in particular that I made between 8th grade and 9th that could have seriously derailed my life and jeopardized my future. And in today’s era of “zero tolerance policies” and “stiffer penalties” they assuredly would have. I was fortunate to have had 2 different principals that saw some value in me and my potential contributions, I suppose, that I was offered opportunities for redemption. In 8th grade my mother was literally on her knees in the principal’s office, Mrs. H, pleading for her not to expel me for one particular poor choice. She didn’t expel me, thankfully. But I did have to research and write a lengthy report while I was out of school about the implications of the choice that led to my suspension. Then in 9th grade, I remember my mother convincing the principal, Mr. P, not only to suspend me from school for a different poor choice, but also demanding that he not allow me to call my grandmother to come pick me up at my high school some 30 miles from our house. Instead, she made sure to tell him that I was to take the city bus home (3 busses by the way, with all the transfers!) on the day I was issued an extended suspension from high school.

These opportunities for redemption did not come without consequences, of course, and rightfully so. I recall my mother called our priest when I was given that 7 day suspension in 9th grade. He told her to send me to the church every day from 7:00am to 4:00pm while I was out of school. My mother’s infinite wisdom taught her to do whatever she could to provide me with some semblance of structure, even given our circumstances. For her, this meant relying on the lessons and resources from our faith community. And Father John made sure I scrubbed the church pews, weeded the church lawn, and swept the church parking lot every single day I was suspended from school. These physical exertions were accompanied by deeply reflective conversations with him about choices, consequences, second chances, and the road to redemption. I still reflect on those conversations and experiences, and the lessons they provided me. I was fortunate that I learned then the importance of relishing second chances, remaining on the road to redemption, and righting the wrongs we commit however and whenever we can. Doing so not only strengthens our character but also allows us to grow and advance.
describe the image

 
 
 
 
 
 
I have my mother, Father John, and Principals Mrs. H and Mr. P to thank for continuing to believe in me while teaching me these important themes back in 8th and 9th grade. It’s because of their choices then, to hold me accountable and teach me to learn from mine, that I was ultimately able to serve all of you as principal today. I will always appreciate them for that, so I didn’t miss out on the opportunity to support our students and staff to achieve success and reach their dreams here at Barnwell. The most recent chapters of The Energy Bus reminded me of those times, and that I was able to dust myself off and continue my growth.

-Norman