Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Resolve of Joy's Rock


 
Chapters 18-23 of The Energy Bus remind us of the need to find our own pillar of inner strength. These chapters also serve as a reminder that we need to be selective who we invite onto our bus, and that at times it’s necessary to kick the energy vampires off of our bus! Joy teaches George that it is perfectly acceptable to be selective with who gets an invitation onto our bus, including not trying to force anyone on who does not wish to be present. Joy also teaches George about the ultimate rule of positive energy, which states that the sum of your positive energy must be greater than everyone else’s positive and negative energy in order to achieve truly lasting and impactful results. To those ends, Joy gives George a rock to put in his pocket as a reminder of his inner strength and to recharge his personal fortitude. As a follow up in chapter 20, George has a series of courageous conversations with members of his own team at work. He shares with some of his team members what he needs from them for the team to ultimately be successful with an upcoming product launch. Not all of those conversations are pleasant, as George finds the strength to be candid by clutching the rock that Joy gave him. Finally, in chapter 23, Joy teaches George about “E-motion.” That is that the “E” in “emotion” represents the energy flowing through you, and that once you take control of your emotions the positive energy will flow.



Reading these chapters of The Energy Bus remind me of a dear colleague from my early days as a teacher. She is a woman I completed graduate school with at UCLA, student teaching with at Dorsey High School in South Los Angeles, and my first years teaching with at Lawndale High School in the Lennox community of Los Angeles. Her name is Ms. S. She remains a dear friend to this day. What I remember most vividly about her, especially in the early years of our personal friendship and professional collaboration is her “E-motion.” She was, and is, an outpouring of positive and warm energy. She also demonstrates a patience, understanding, and maturity beyond her years. She lives by the courage of her convictions, and she was born and bred to be an urban educator.

I recall my constant feelings of confusion and disarray in those first few years of teaching. I recall wondering how/when/where to go for help writing my lesson plans, aligning my assessment strategies, and determining which indicators of student progress to give my most immediate attention. I also recall Ms. S’ patient resolve during those times, and her confident presentation that we were in this together, that we were partners in education, and that all we had to do was walk one step at a time, with our compasses pointing true north, and we would eventually learn and discern all of those critical functions that a teacher must master in order to be most effective. Reading chapters 18-23 in The Energy Bus, I couldn’t help but wonder if, back in that era, did Ms. S keep the same rock Joy gave George in her pocket? She kept a constant smile and reminded me every day that I was going to get through it!

In reflecting on those times, I recall that she was a djembe drummer, and her drum was a fixture in her classroom, in her personal space, and was woven into every fabric of her life. It must have been her drumming that gave her the patience and serenity to navigate herself, and me, through those first few years of teaching and student teaching together in Los Angeles. Her support and belief in me then laid the foundation for a lifelong friendship and collaboration.

It is those kinds of individuals who come into your life, not only to serve as friends and mentors, but also to remind you of your own strengths and redeeming qualities, that we often appreciate and admire most. For me, her example kept me from leaving the profession in those early years, by constantly reinforcing that I wasn’t crazy, that the difficult times would eventually pass, and that I would eventually figure out what I was doing each day in the classroom!

Today, Ms. S just began the new phase of her career by accepting a position as vice principal of a middle school, after 14 years as a high school teacher. She is now working in the East Bay, Northern  California. Reading these latest chapters of The Energy Bus reminded me of her example, her resolve, and the profound support she provided me in my novice years in the classroom.

For further inquiry, below is an article published by the Harvard Business Review about the value of humility and fierce resolve:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment