Friday, September 5, 2014

My Broken Foot...



 
September 5, 2014

In Chapters 9, 10, and 11 of The Energy Bus, George learns through Joy the Bus Driver that personal crisis can often offer opportunities for growth, development, and refining of one’s life vision and purpose. Joy reminds George of the need to develop a personal vision, to forge through the crisis, and to visualize the light on the other side of that crisis.  Joy teaches George about the law of attraction, which states that the more we focus on the goal the more it becomes our reality. In other words, we think about what we attract. George learns that life often presents us with our very own Energy Field of Dreams: mentally build it, focus on it, take action, and success will come. Along those lines, Joy teaches George that positive energy is the high octane fuel for the ride of your life! 

 

In reflecting on these lessons from chapters 9 through 11, I can’t help but think of my own time of personal crisis that eventually, indirectly, led me to Barnwell! I may not have comprehended the law of attraction and the energy field of dreams at the time, but those principles were well at work for me during that era of my life, which I have to thank for eventually allowing me to serve as your principal.

In January of 2006, I was in the middle of my 6th year as a social studies teacher at Lawndale High School, in the Lennox Community of Los Angeles. During this era, in my free time (remember this was long before marriage and twins for me!) I played basketball at a local gym and ran on the treadmill at least 5 days per week (I usually took Sundays off). I remember that I developed a chronic pain on the side of my right foot that I ignored and never got checked out. The pain lasted for a few months, before I suffered a devastating foot fracture playing basketball in January ’06. Turns out I had a small stress fracture for months that, because I ignored, turned into multiple breaks in multiple locations throughout my right foot.
 

 This left me on crutches and a hard cast for the next 10 weeks. I had to learn to manage teaching 5 periods per day, making and carrying all the copies, grading, moving around the room, checking for understanding, monitoring student progress, etc. that one would expect of a teacher, all while maneuvering through student desks and activities on crutches! Did I mention that I lived on the second floor of my apartment building, with no elevator?! 

Then, finally, after 10 weeks of struggling through the daily routines of a high school teacher on crutches, I got my cast off and I was cleared to resume normal physical activities. So of course, I did. And less than one month later, I broke my same foot again!!! I had to repeat the same processes and challenges all over again for another 10 weeks! Clearly my foot had not completely healed.

During this period of time when injury forced me to sit still for the first 6 months of 2006, I began to ponder where my career might take me, and what next personal challenges I might visualize for myself to tackle. I first began to envision my own personal Energy Field of Dreams at this time. What I began to look into was the pursuit of a doctorate in education. I always knew that I did not want to be an administrator, but maybe I could further my education just for personal and academic enrichment?...

My injury forced me to slow down and visualize the rest of my life and my career, and afforded me opportunities to explore possibilities that I never took the time to ponder before. That was a period of great physical difficulty for me that eventually allowed me to come to the conclusion that I should purse a doctorate in education. Gratefully, I applied to and was accepted to the University of Southern California’s Doctor of Education program. I began classes in September 2006. 
 

It was my doctoral pursuits at USC that exposed me to the many possibilities for continued professional growth that a career in educational leadership might present. I owe much of the next stages of my career to my experiences and new understandings that I amassed at USC during that period. It was during the final stages of my doctoral studies that I was fortunate enough to become an assistant principal, which eventually led me to the high honor of serving as Barnwell’s principal. I can safely say, if I never broke my foot back then, I would not be serving with all of you today.

In closing, I truly appreciated what George learned about turning personal crisis into renewed opportunity to refocus and reinvigorate one’s life purpose and focus. I experienced the same circumstances nearly 9 years ago, and I have those to thank for the privilege of serving as your principal. It is true what they say about we never know the unexpected twists and turns life will present, but the true test is how we respond to adversity. My own career is evidence of that….

If you are interested in reading more about the themes of turning adversity and challenging circumstances into opportunities for growth in an educational setting, you might browse the article pasted below published by the National Association of Elementary School Principals. The article focuses on principals’ positive responses to adversity, but there are a number of universally transferable messages for teachers and other leaders within the article.

-Norman
 

No comments:

Post a Comment